Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Introducing Peerless Phil

For the sake of simplicity (and not pissing off others), I will introduce myself as Peerless Phil. Born in the happier times of the 1970's and raised in S Philadelphia, I seemed destined to join the majority of my friends and live my entire life in the "City of Brotherly Love" to boo all the athletic teams and throw snowballs at Santa Claus.

Fortunately, fate decided that I had a skill for memorization of trivia and numbers and was able to parlay my knack of rattling off any sports stat imaginable when I was 6 years old into learning 5 foreign languages- Including Mandarin Chinese.  This skill propelled me into Penn State University and the Honors Program along with employment interest from several companies upon graduation. 

I eventually decided to join with a major grain trading company and promptly moved from the East Coast to the Heartland of America to trade Corn, Wheat, and Soybeans.  What followed was hilarity as a city kid basically had to learn all sorts of things that would only be important if one were to have grown up on a farm.  

Following the posting in the Midwest US, I was sent to China to work because of my Language Skills in Mandarin.  Further hilarity ensued as I traveled all over rural China to trade agricultural products, often going 1 week or more without speaking English.

Finally, after 3 years I moved to NYC in 1996 and wound up on the trading floor to set up my own business in options trading.  While in this current location, I have met so many people that can only be described as "characters" and sometimes seem to be from casting central for a Wall Street or Mafia type movie.

In this blog, I will try to relate some of the funniest stories I have experienced in my career. I realize everyone has a Blog now and some people use Twitter for every time the use the toilet. I, however, am writing here because I want my friends and Wife to get a good laugh.

With the above ideas in mind, please feel free to comment as I post.

Sincerely yours, 

The Peerless Forecaster

3 comments:

  1. My Chinese knowledge consists of thank you and thank you for the kung po! My Chinese daughter knows none either, but her middle name is Anning, which means peaceful, I believe. Kunming was the most capitalistic city I've ever seen, they put America to shame. I imagine you were in Shanghai or Beijing? Ever been to Kunming or Szechaun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Chengdu (the capital of Sichuan) and Chongqing (which might be the mot polluted city in the world). My favorite Chinese food is Sichuan cuisine, which also happens to be where Kung Pao originated from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is said Kung Po was Chairman Mao's favorite food, although he was from central China. Every city in china is more polluted than even the worst here. A new Coal-burning plant is built every 2 days there. I had planned on going back to Yunnan and Szechuan when my daughter is ten, but may have to delay it following the earthquake last year. Friends say it would be another 5 years until it is built back up to accommodate our "Western needs".

    ReplyDelete